Monday, March 27, 2017

Setting up Scifinder Scholar accounts

Scifinder Scholar is the most used database in Chemistry, and it is quirky in that users must register to use the product- and on campus in our IP range. In an emergency, I will set up accounts for students off campus, but I stress in my classes that we prefer to not do so, as it goes against best practices to set someone's password and user name. Last week while I was away, several students needed accounts, and so I would like to give everyone permission to set up Scifinder accounts when I am not around. 

When you first open Scifinder Scholar, you will be prompted to log in with your UNCG id and password. You will see a link on the next page that says: 

Please click on this LINK (only for on campus registration) to register.  You will receive an email from CAS that includes a link and instructions for completing the registration process. You must click the link within 48 hours if not, you will need to begin the registration process again. "

Follow the link and register the student. They need to give you their preferred user name and password, but note that the password rules frequently change, so you will probably need to use some combination of a special character, a capital letter, and a number. I usually work from what they send me and modify as required. You will also be asked random security questions- they change. I sometimes get "Who is your favorite pet?" or "What is your favorite musical instrument?" I make something up, submit the form, and the student will get an e-mail to finish registration. Make sure you send them an e-mail with the user name, password, and answers to the security questions. I usually suggest they change their password, and you'll want to make sure they know they need to always go through the library web site to access Scifinder. I really don't like to do this, as it's not good practice to set passwords and security questions for someone else, but it's the only workaround if students are not here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment