Wednesday, October 4, 2023

HDF 201 Students

 Hello, 

HDF 201, which a large lecture class, around 80 students, has an assignment due Friday where they have to find 3 empirical research articles on a topic related to child development. The teacher advised them to make one-on-one appointments with me, but of course, I can't meet with 80 students in the next 3 days. So I just emailed the teacher and advised them to use library chat. Just a heads up if there is an increase in traffic. So the course guide has everything they need and I have found that Child Development and Adolescent Studies on the Finding Articles tab narrows down the search enough to find 3 empirical articles on their topic. They usually also need help identifying empirical articles. 

Here is a note about what an empirical article is:

An empirical article reports the findings of a study conducted by the authors and uses data gathered from an experiment or observation.

-In action, what I usually do is look at the abstract to see if they mention it being a study done by the authors with original research and/or methods section within the article. Please ask the librarian on your shift if you have any issues. 

Feel free to chat me on Teams if there are any questions, and thanks everyone! I will try and be on chat when I am not in meetings. 

Thanks, Sam (HDF Librarian)

No comments:

Post a Comment